Round 2. We know the drill. Zoom meetings, the home office, living room fitness sessions and a lot of Netflix. So why not set yourself a small, healthy challenge this time around?
80% of people suffer from back pain at some point in their life. Our chiropractors correct spinal misalignment on a daily basis and one of the leading causes of lower back pain is a weakened core that just isn’t supporting your posture and spine the right way.
Over lockdown give these exercises a go to reduce back pain, strengthen your core and tone your tummy. Trust us, if you keep this routine up daily you’ll notice the difference in just three weeks.
Let’s start at the core!
Throughout these exercises you need to engage the right muscles but the core can be hard to feel. These muscles are deep, lining the spine, abdominal wall and forming the pelvic floor.
The key to building core strength is to exercise in a really conscious and controlled way. Take things slow and steady, maintaining a correct posture to keep your back safe. If you are currently suffering from back pain please consult your chiropractor before trying these exercises.
A standard core strengthening exercise you’re probably familiar with, but it really is one of the most effective.
- Start on all fours with your back in neutral position and your hands directly below your shoulders
- Extend your legs behind you.
- Now that you are in a high plank position, come down onto your elbows.
- Keep your body straight and completely aligned. Tuck your pelvis in slightly, engage those glutes and avoid sagging at the hips or dipping at the head.
Time yourself on the first day and aim to beat that time every so often to see your improvements over lockdown.
- Lie on the floor in an upturned table position with your arms extended and your knees bent at 90 degrees.
- Slowly and simultaneously extend your right leg out and your left arm straight behind you.
- Keep your back flat on the ground and core engaged.
- Then gradually bring them back up before swapping sides.
- Try 3 sets repeating 10 times on each side.
- Lie on your back, knees bent, feet flat on the floor with your arms by your side.
- Squeeze your glutes and abdominal muscles before lifting your hips until your chest, pubis and thighs are completely aligned.
- Hold for 5 seconds and lower yourself back down.
- Try 3 sets repeating 10 times in each.
Always listen to your body. If you’re feeling any pain or discomfort, stop and consult your chiropractor.